Friday, July 21, 2006

Oops! Apologies to Grandad Hirons

It appears I've been barking up the wrong family tree with regard to my Hirons blood. My grandfather's father was called Henry, not Harold - I discovered this while looking for his entry in the death records, so the aforementioned links to Warwickshire have been severed in one swoop.

I have managed to track down my grandfather's birth record, plus the details of his marriage to my grandmother, although that proved to be tricky because his surname had been incorrectly spelled as HERONS in the index.

I should be writing a cover feature for Your Family Tree, but it's so much more interesting, especially as the Henry I have found is in Yorkshire where he should be, and the infamous Daniel Hirons (who allegedly stuck his head down a hole to check on his explosives when it went off) is there too.

It appears the family is widely travelled - all four children were born in different parts of the country: Northumberland, Pontypridd, Hull and - in the case of Great Grandfather Henry - Scotland! So I do have a tenuous Scottish link after all...

No comments: