Friday, August 10, 2007

Ashley Giles

The Warwickshire and England all-rounder Ashley Giles announced his retirement from all forms of the game yesterday. It's a little scary to think he's my age - not because I'm trying to avoid the fact I'm 34, but because I find it difficult to accept that any great sportsman has been on the earth for the same amount of time as I have. While I've graciously accepted ageing in most forms, I still can't get my head around the concept of having sporting heroes who are actually younger than me.

Anyway, there's a fabulous tribute to him on the BBC Sport web site - click here. Although he never grabbed the headlines in the way Monty Panesar has rightfully done, Giles was a key member of England's team for a large period of time, and played some crucial roles - particularly with the bat. He hit the winning runs that took England 2-1 up against Australia in the Ashes, and then scored a vital 59 in supporting Kevin Pietersen on the final day to ensure England drew the final test and secured the Ashes. He was also a key player for Warwickshire, and was part of the 1995 Championship-winning side that had seen Warwicks win a remarkable six trophies in the space of just 24 months, something that has never been equalled before or since. I'm sure I'm joining thousands of cricket lovers in thanking Mr Giles for his contribution to cricket in this country, and wishing him every success in the future.

No comments: