Thursday, August 23, 2007

Is something stirring?

You have to hope it is, when you hear the likes of Brad Pitt saying, "We cannot consume ourselves to extinction."

Imagine a world where the human psyche suddenly evolved, and it suddenly stopped becoming all about "me, me, me". If I could have anything in the world, it would be that. I'd like to see us become more than we are - but the only way that's going to happen is if we wake up to what we're doing now, and take the hard steps required to avoid it. The irony is, out of hardship comes great joy - a better connection with the things around you, a greater appreciation of those things we currently take for granted. You might even fill that growing void at the centre of your soul that no amount of capitalist consumption can ever come close to filling.

No comments: