Monday, November 05, 2007

Noise

This little snippet from the BBC, along with some of the thoughtful responses from readers (one of my favourites: "I think that Douglas Adams got it scarily correct when a race of people talked incessently in order to stop their brains working, I think we use all the noise as an excuse to turn our brains off. Turn on, tune in drop out - maybe we should turn off drop in and start thinking again."), is especially apt at this time of year.

As if on cue, as I type this post, the first firework of the evening goes off. I can only hope we don't have any of those horrible bang, bang, bang fireworks from last night, where they were rattling the house from 100 yards away as poor old Jasper cowered in the depths of my study. Certainly backs up the argument that people can't cope with silence because they don't want to use their brains...

No comments: