Friday, May 29, 2009

Star Trek - rebooted

You know that the new Star Trek film basically features the characters from the original series played by new actors, right? Well, it’s more than that. The entire franchise has been rebooted, wiping out 40 years of “history” by having Romulans (and Spock) come back in time to change things forever.

I don’t know what to think. I love this new film in so many ways, but part of me feels guilty towards the universe I know and love, the universe of The Wrath of Khan, Jean Luc Picard, the Borg and so on. This movie effectively wipes them all out – well, it doesn’t wipe out Khan (who’s out there somewhere) or the Borg, but you know what I mean.

Ah sod it, it’s only a sci-fi franchise. The “real” Star Trek is still out there somewhere – this is just another alternate reality that’s been created. And it’s a very entertaining one too.

No comments: