Monday, May 09, 2005

Last Orders

Indulged myself with a long lunch today watching Last Orders, which was shown on BBC1 last night. Michael Caine, Ray Winstone, Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Tom Courtenay and the late David Hemmings were all superb in this gentle story of the lives of a group of Londoners who embark on a trip to Margate to scatter the ashes of Caine's character after his death (Caine is able to play a role thanks to the wonder of flashback). Another remarkable performance was that of JJ Feild (see here) as the youthful Michael Caine. I thought I'd seen him before - it turns out he played Jack and the US TV movie Jack and the Beanstalk that was shown last Christmas.

I seem to recall the movie received mixed reviews when it was release, but I thought it superb, and can understand Ray Winstone's acerbic comments in Empire magazine when the DVD was released.

No comments: