Friday, June 08, 2007

Five-a-side football

I played my first game in nearly two years last night, and thankfully I've been invited back along with fellow volunteers at Abberton Reservoir. We lost about 8-1, although I had the dubious honour of getting our one goal - in fact, it was about five minutes in and put us 1-0 up, at which point I thought, this is easier than I remember...

Suffice to say, things went downhill after that, although I didn't completely disgrace myself with my performance. It was a bumper turnout - around eight or nine-a-side, and although the pitch is about 2-3 times the size of what I used to play on, the sheer numbers meant the game was frenetic, with few bits of skill and plenty of head tennis (no overhead rule here). Apparently the turnout is usually less, so hopefully with a bit more time on the ball and a few more games under my belt I'll rediscover some of my old "form". Great fun, though, and I'm glad I've managed to find a regular game again.

My legs don't half ache though...

No comments: