Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Saving the planet isn't about eco-consumerism

That's the argument made by George Monbiot in his latest Guardian column (see here). The depressing thing of course is that he's right - well, it might be depressing to you, but I've already come to terms with the fact we need to consume less. It's why I don't buy an eco-friendly fridge freezer to replace the one we already have - we inherited it on moving here, and it'll stay in use until it finally shuffles off this mortal coil. The same is true of our unhip television sets (yes, to my shame we own three!) - I spent this lunchtime vacuuming out the bedroom set because it had started blinking out. I've no idea if dust was the cause of the problem, but I'll be trying that fix before I dispose of it responsibly (and not replace it - we'll just have to get used to a 14-inch TV instead of a 20-inch one, even though the former is far less energy efficient than the latter).

No comments: