Wednesday, April 30, 2008

FFS...

... This government never ceases to amaze me with their contempt for democracy and proper process. George Monbiot has exposed how small surgeries will be closed in favour of huge poly-clinics with all of the disadvantages that will impose on us (I guess our doctor's surgery won't be a convenient five-minute walk in future then) - see here.

I see Ben Bradshaw is one of the minister's overseeing this. His contempt for proper consultation doesn't surprise me - the only time I've written to the government by letter was to ask about the recycling of non-type 1 and 2 plastics, which was addressed to him and his department. Suffice to say I heard nothing back - a stark contrast to the Conservative councillor who bothered to find out and write to me (the only time I've voted Tory was for her; ironically she lost her seat to my party of choice, the Lib Dems), or our local MP (Bob Russell) who bothered to write and confirm he was supporting a Commons motion bought about by the WWF.

There are so many things wrong with this decision it's untrue, but it's the fact this government increasingly feels it doesn't need to consult with parliament on important issues like this that disgust me. Brown and co may not themselves be dictators in waiting, but their increasing contempt for democracy means the system is being softened up - remember their role in all of this should the unthinkable happen and we find ourselves governed by a dictator in the not-too distant future.

No comments: