Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Final mediawatch submitted

I've been writing my Media Watch column for the Blues programme this season, and I've just submitted my final entry for Sunday's match against Blackburn where - barring three miracles at St Andrews, Pride Park and Fratton Park - we will confirm our relegation.

I don't want to talk about it as what I wrote earlier still holds true, but writing this column has meant I've had to keep confronting it. Let's just say, this entry isn't that inspiring, but then I'm tired of writing about the same old foibles costing us points almost as much as I'm tired of Birmingham City full stop.

Still, the good news is that I've picked a humdinger of a team for the Indian Premier League 20-20 tournament. I knew I'd pick a team that had a poor start, and having watched the Deccan Chargers throw away a match in the last over by conceding 19 runs I knew they were for me. I then saw them win their next game to secure their first victory in four attempts. Sadly, after that impressive show they've reverted to type and I caught the last over of their latest defeat. Needing 20 to win, they hit two singles, raised my hope with two sixes and then screwed up with another two singles. What particularly annoyed me is that they ran one and stopped on the last ball. Why not run the second and force the opposition to get them out? A panicked throw, and who knows what might have happened.

I really must start picking teams who won't let me down when I choose sporting sides to follow. As for the Chargers, their record is now played six, won one, lost five. I feel right at home.

No comments: