Friday, October 24, 2008

Passenger lists

There was a big hoo-hah when Findmypast.com launched its Ancestors On Board service, which basically allows people to view records of those who departed British ports on boats between 1890 and 1960. Now I've discovered that Ancestry.co.uk has the second piece of the puzzle - details of people who disembarked at British ports.

I've already found evidence my Great Uncle Eddie Caldicott's visit with his family to these shores in December 1947, plus two entries for my great grandfather Henry Hirons who was shuttling between Blighty and Africa in the 1920s (on one of the records he was mis-transcribed as Herons - I must remember that when scouring Ancestors On Board for him as I've only found one record of him on there).

Perhaps more exciting is the fact I can now say with certainty that the date my grandmother first set foot on British soil (she was born in Western Australia when my great grandparents emigrated out there in the early 1920s) was 12th April, 1928. I must ring her and see what she makes of that!

No comments: