Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bloody bonfires

Over the past few days a number of neighbours have decided the good weather is the perfect time for a bonfire. I don’t mind when they’re obviously burning wood or other natural substances, but two of those three bonfires have smelled incredibly acrid and nasty, and I don’t exactly find it considerate to have polluting and harmful fumes seeping through my house, with a 16-month baby girl asleep upstairs breathing in God knows what despite the fact all the windows and doors are shut.

To cap it all off, I looked out of the window this morning to find a not very subtle covering of white ash covering the car – a car parked on the opposite side of the house and in a sheltered spot. Christ knows what damage that will do – I’ve swept most of it off, but honestly, what kind of fricking world are we living in?

It probably doesn’t help to see that the climate change denial industry is still going strong among my fellow Birmingham City supporters. I can’t frame a coherent reply, my anger is so great right now (although there’s a growing part of me that can’t be arsed – I mean, if you can’t see what’s going on in front of your own eyes, how will I persuade you otherwise?).

If only the prevailing attitude was that personal freedom ends the moment you start infringing on other people’s rights, the world we live in would be a much better place.

Other than this, life is good. And I’m not being sarcastic, either.

No comments: