Sunday, June 28, 2009

Looking for new opportunities

The recession is starting to bite. Magazines are cutting back, some are possibly on life support and suddenly freelance writing doesn’t feel anywhere near as secure as it has done for the past six years (and it never felt that secure – after all, it is a job where your next commission might be your last).

I’ve put things off for a little while, but I’m going to have to start trying my luck with new titles and maybe even pitch outside of my comfort zone. The frustrating thing is that I know I’ve got good content that would benefit lots of people, but how do I get it to them at a price that’s fair for both parties? The problem with the internet is that it encourages everything to be free: the problem is, somebody somewhere still has to be paid for hosting it, or finding the time to write it, and so on and so forth.

I’ve got the content, I’ve even got the ability to turn it into a professionally looking printable PDF document that people could download and print out segments for themselves if they needed to (such as just prior to reinstalling Windows or recovering from a crashed PC), but would people pay me a small sum directly for that content? And how would I get it in front of enough people’s noses for them to at least take a second look?

No comments: