Saturday, August 01, 2009

Oh my…

This is surreal: according to The Times (click here) and various other web sites, a-ha’s new album is “guaranteed” a top 5 spot in Sunday’s album chart. It’ll be their first top 10 album since 1988’s Stay on these Roads, and their first since I publicly and privately acknowledged I was a big fan. And to think I thought they’d had their moment in the sun when the single Analogue briefly charted at #10 in 2006…

It’s an interesting article – apparently it’s now okay for dads and boyfriends to admit a “guilty” pleasure to liking a-ha. Does that mean I’ve not been alone in my love of this band’s music and lyrics for the past 20 years? That’s not fair – I know plenty of friends who to varying degrees admit liking their music (Dave and Cav in particular spring to mind).

Be interesting to see the dynamic of the fanbase at the concerts this autumn compared to the last three times we’ve seen them, although I suspect if a load more people are discovering their music for the first time they’ll be touring again in 2010…

No comments: