Monday, June 18, 2007

Weekend

If we ignore my rantings from yesterday, this weekend just gone has been a good one. First up, Doctor Who. If you want to know my feelings on this pivotal episode, just read Mark Wright's review here - I don't know about production codes, and I can't list all the companions in order (or can I? I've never tried), but his review sums it up for me. A poor opening is redeemed by the explosive finale as Jacobi effortlessly acts everyone off the screen with his transformation and the frenetic ending is helped by John Simm's superb portrayal of a post-regenerative Time Lord while our Doctor stands by, helpless at this sudden, disturbing turn of events.

On Sunday Toni and I went down to the allotment where we found that black fly had finally infested the broad bean crop. Half the crop is gone, but not before we harvested a load of broad beans and dug up enough potatoes for the week. Tonight I'll be cooking shepherd's pie with local potatoes and broad beans...

Sunday also saw Nicolas Mahut come so close to beating Andy Roddick in the Artois Championship final at Queen's. Mahut would have made Birmingham City proud with his "so near yet so far" attempt, with a match point that will haunt his dreams for years to come. The French are producing some excellent young tennis players, and I've got a new favourite to cheer on alongside Gael Monfils.

I've also been digging into family history for a project I won't reveal any more about for now, except to say it'll hopefully transform itself into a birthday present for someone. I'm about to discover if I can pull off a DVD documentary using only still images...

Oh, and the identify of the mystery bidder for Birmingham has been revealed - his name is Carson Yeung, and he's from Hong Kong. Not much is known about him, but apparently he's already failed in bids for Sheffield Wednesday and Reading. I'm not sure what to make of it all, but to be honest all the money sloshing around football these days is rapidly turning me off the game. I enjoyed last season because we were big fish in a small pond, and there were goals a plenty; I'm not looking forward to trying to grind out 38 0-0 draws next season...

No comments: